PinIt

Monday, September 9, 2013

Watermelon Rind Pickles

We harvested our first watermelon, it's a Charleston Gray!
And to put it to good use, I made Pickled Melon Rinds! They're easy to make and scrumptious to eat! You should try it with your next melon!

Remove the rind. The easiest way is to cut the melon as you normally would. Cut off all pink flesh (the part you typically eat), then using a vegetable peeler, peel off the green skin. Cut the rind into about 1" pieces. 

Prepare the brine. 
1/4 cup salt to 1 qt water. Put all cut rind chunks in brine. Let sit overnight.
Drain and rinse.

Prepare syrup. 
Mix vinegar, water, and spices. Bring to boil. 

Add rinds. Boil. Simmer about 30-minutes. The rinds should be clear. 

Pack rinds into jars, fill with hot syrup. Eat immediately or process for storage. 

I am in love and will never discard another melon rind ever again!
Have you ever had melon rinds?


This was shared at The Backyard Farming Connection, Share Your Cup Thursday, The HomeAcre Hop, and what i am eating.

-Live Simple, Be Happy-
Magnolia Holler

4 comments:

  1. Wow, how neat! I never knew you could do this with watermelon rinds. I love how you are using each part of the melon. It's a very pretty watermelon by the way :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never tried it, but have heard of watermelon pickles and have been curious ever since reading "Reflections on a gift of watermelon pickle..." in high school. :-) I'm going to have to try this just so I can satisfy my curiousity. Thank you for sharing at the HomeAcre Hop. I hope you'll join us again this Thursday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll be featuring your post at Thursday's HomeAcre Hop - congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have heard of watermelon rind pickles, but have never tried them. I bet they are delicious! Thanks for sharing the recipe with SYC.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete