PinIt

Friday, March 29, 2013

Fruit Tree Blooming Branch

In the last snow/ice storm, one of our fruit trees had a limb severely damaged. It broke yet still partially attached and we haven't had time to cut it off yet. So the majority of the limb is laying on the ground. I'm not sure why, but it is loaded with buds and the blooms are beginning to open. (The rest of the tree hasn't started to bud out yet).

I decided to cut off as many of the smaller branches from the limb and bring them inside, to hopefully finish opening. Won't it make a spectacular centerpiece for Easter?!
I want them to bloom inside for two reasons: 1) they are beautiful, and 2) I still need to identify this tree! When it bloomed last year I thought it a Cherry, because it reminded me of the Cherry Blossom festival in DC.
But, later in the season I spotted a fruit on it. Very few, because the funky spring weather we had last year -everything bloomed early, then the late frost zapped all the blooms. So we barely had any fruit last year!
I wish I took a picture of the fruit when I saw it, because the next time I checked it was gone! I assume something ate it, because their was no evidence of it on the ground. The very small, immature fruit had the coloring of an apricot. Though we're told there was once a plum and peach tree planted here, no mention of an apricot. Hopefully this year I'll be able to get some fruit and identify the tree! Until then, these blooms will be a beautiful centerpiece for Easter!

Happy Easter!

-Live Simple, Be Happy-
Magnolia Holler

Join the fun at Farm Girl Blog Fest!

And, the Farmgirl Friday Blog Hop!

1 comment:

  1. That does make a beautiful centerpiece! I love bringing nature indoors whenever I can. Hope you have a great Easter weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete